Hi Bold Bakers!
Even though I’ve been a professional baker for years, there are still some tricks that I unexpectantly CRACK! So I switched up one simple technique for this brownie recipe and created the chewiest brownies known to man.
To make the Best-Ever Brownies, you need to use high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, brown sugar, and bittersweet chocolate (70%) chunks to balance out the sweetness.
But to make the chewiest brownies you’ve ever experienced in your life, the trick is to beat the wet ingredients (the butter, oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract) on high for 5 minutes. The mixture will get really thick, which is what you want! Then, you add in the dry ingredients, bake, and enjoy!
ALL Of My Brownie Recipes
If you’re looking for brownies, Bigger Bolder Baking is the right place. I’ve not only mastered them, I’ve turned them into a sweet, sweet art. Look at all the variations I have:
What Makes These Brownies Chewy
If you like your brownies chewy, I mean, so chewy they are the polar opposite of my brownie brittle, then you need to bookmark this page! While this recipe calls for the same ingredients as my Crinkle Top Brownies, which has a bunch of delicious textures, beating your wet ingredients and then adding your dry will give you the chewiest brownies.
It’s such a simple step; it’s hard to believe it makes such a difference!
What You Need To Make Chewy Brownies
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 8×8 inch baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer or stand mixer or strong whisking abilities
How To Make Chewy Brownies
Unbelievably chewy brownies are just a few steps away! Here is how you make chewy brownies (get the full printable recipe below):
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare an 8×8-inch baking tray by buttering it and lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the melted butter, oil, both of the sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Using an electric hand mixer, beat this mixture for 5 minutes on high speed until it becomes very thick. (You can do this by hand, but you’ll need some elbow grease.)
- Over the same bowl, sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet until it is JUST combined. You don’t want to overmix! Then, fold in half of the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, smooth the top, and generously top with the remaining chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the center of the brownies no longer jiggles and is just set to touch.
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Chewy Brownies
- You can make this recipe without an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, but for best results, I do recommend using one.
- Bake until just set and the jiggle is gone from the middle. If you overbake, your brownies will not be gooey and fudgy.
- Use bittersweet chocolate; it gives a real richness to your brownies.
- Dark brown sugar gives brownies lovely, deep caramel notes. If you don’t have any on hand, make your own!
- Don’t be shy with the salt and vanilla extract! Those ingredients are what makes these brownies so irresistible.
- When serving, I recommend warming the brownies in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. It just makes them so gooey and delicious.
How Do I Store Chewy Brownies?
These brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store them in the freezer for up to 1 month. Be sure to let them come to room temperature before serving!
Get More Brownies!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
My Chewy Brownies recipe yields the chewiest brownies known to man, packed with gooey melted chocolate. You have to give them a go!
Servings: 16 brownies
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (coconut or canola)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (6 1/4oz/177g) dark brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 1/4oz/227g) white sugar
- 4 large eggs, (room temperature)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (4oz/115g) good quality (unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (9oz/255g) bittersweet chocolate (roughly chopped)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) then butter and line an 8×8 inch baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl add the melted butter, oil, both sugars, eggs, and vanilla.
Using an electric hand mixer, whisk for about 5 minutes at high speed until the mixture becomes very thick. You can also do this by hand but you will just really need to give it some welly.
Over the same bowl sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until JUST combined (do NOT over mix). Fold in half of the chocolate chunks.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then smooth the top. Generously top with the remaining chocolate chunks.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the center of the brownies no longer jiggles and is JUST set to the touch.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before removing from the baking tray and slicing into 16 brownies. Enjoy!